Monday, February 9, 2009

Goal of the Week (7)

No one scored more goals from distance than "The Maradona of the Carpathians," Gheorghe Hagi. Most of you probably remember the '94 Romania side and this goal in particular. Colombia had a fine side at this point, but the tiny bit of space left to Hagi perfectly illustrates the details that separate teams at this level. I can't think of a better placed shot in my football viewing life. So come follow me back to a simpler time...

18, June 1994
Romania 1: Colombia 0
The Rose Bowl (Pasadena)




I like your style, ULTRAS4steaua.

3 comments:

gnchicago@gmail.com said...

HAGI is not maradona from Carpathians, maybe maradona is HAGI from Argentina....

beth rooney said...

Let's just agree that both are inferior to Robert Prosinecki.

Martin Seay said...

I'd be thrilled to be known as the Maradona of anything . . . or Anything of the Carpathians, for that matter. (Except for maybe the Carpathian of the Carpathians, which seems redundant.)